Monday, March 8, 2010

Prize Winning Meatloaf

shared by Cori H.
(Note: This is a favorite at our house – Isaiah requests it often! In fact, this is a standard "company dish" that I serve when we have dinner guests. I like to serve it with "Creamy Mashed Potatoes," a side salad and bread to complete the meal. I have started doubling the recipe because my boys are growing and eating heartily and 1 meatloaf was not enough whenever I served it to guests.)

Ingredients:
1 ½ lbs ground beef (90% lean), or ground turkey
1 can diced tomatoes
¾ c. quick oatmeal (I've also used rolled oats, either is fine.)
1 egg, beaten
¼ c. chopped onion (We like onions, so I typically dice up a small onion and use it completely.)
¼ t. pepper
½ t. salt
ketchup

Directions:
1. Break up ground beef in a large bowl; add diced tomatoes, oatmeal, egg, onion, pepper, and salt. (I use my 8 cup, glass batter bowl.)
2. Mix thoroughly with large spoon or by hand. (I use my hand mixer which has a meat beaters.)
3. Put mixture in 8x4 loaf pan.
4. Top with ketchup. (I "frost" my meatloaf with it, so the meat is covered.)
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

1 comment:

Bella said...

I am not a meatloaf fan but this sounds good. I might get brave one day to try it!

Easy Rice Pilaf for Two

 submitted by Patty H. (I tried this for the first time this week and it truly was easy and delicious!) Ingredients: 1/2 cup long grain whit...