Thursday, March 4, 2010

Mountains & Valleys Cake

shared by Cori H.
(Growing up this was my mom's "assigned" dessert. No family reunion, holiday get-together or birthday party was complete without it. My mom told me that the first time she made it I commented on how it looked like a pan full of "mountains and valleys"...the name stuck.)

Ingredients:
1 ½ c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt (I don't use)
¼ c. cocoa
1 c. water
½ c. vegetable oil
1 T. vinegar
1 t. vanilla

Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 egg
½ c. sugar
1 c. chocolate chips (I sometimes will use the mini chocolate chips)

Directions:
1. Beat the softened cream cheese with egg and sugar until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
2. Combine dry ingredients together then stir in liquid ingredients until smooth.
3. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan.
4. Take heaping teaspoons of filling and drop into the cake batter.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
6. (Cupcake option: Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes)

No comments:

Easy Rice Pilaf for Two

 submitted by Patty H. (I tried this for the first time this week and it truly was easy and delicious!) Ingredients: 1/2 cup long grain whit...