Friday, February 26, 2010

Meatball Sub Sandwiches

shared by Cori H.
(After Esther's birth, a church friend provided this meal for our family. She is a mother of four boys and thought this dish would be well liked by our 3 hungry boys. She was right...Isaiah immediately asked me to get the recipe! I have included my own personal recipe for the Italian meatballs, but I think you could use any recipe for the meatballs.)
Meatball Sub Sandwiches
Ingredients:
meatballs
hogie buns (My friend buys the 6 count hogie buns from Sam's Club for $3.68)
1 can pizza sauce (I've also used spaghetti sauce from Aldi)
mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions:
1.Mix together ingredients for meatballs and cook. (either on the skillet or bake in the oven on broiler pan.)
2.Slice hogie buns in half, but not completely.
3.Spread hogie buns with pizza sauce.
4.Place meatballs in buns. (I was able to fit 6-7 meatballs per hoagie bun.)
5.Add a little more sauce on top of meatballs.
6.Generously sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of sandwiches.
7.Broil or bake in oven for a few minutes. (enough to allow the cheese to melt)

Italian Meatballs
(I first made this recipe the summer David and Kevin drove out to California and back in three days. David asked that I prepare sandwiches, snacks and such in order to help them make the trip without having to make stops for meals. I made a double batch of these and thought they could serve for two "meals." David said they ate them before any of the other sandwiches and they only lasted for ONE meal! Needless to say, they are a favorite...in spaghetti sauce, or served with tator tots or served in hoagie buns as sub sandwiches.)

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (90% lean)
1 c. oatmeal (or 4 bread slices soaked in ½ c. water for 2-3 min.) (I always use oatmeal.)
2 eggs
¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 T. snipped parsley (I rarely have fresh parsley on hand, so I always substitute 2 t. dried parsley)
1 t. salt
¼ t. dried oregano
1 t. onion powder
dash pepper

Directions:
1.Combine ingredients together.(I use my hand mixer with the meat beaters attached.)
2.Form mixture into small balls.I use the Pampered Chef medium scoop & it makes 26.)
3.Brown slowly in 2 T. hot oil. (I usually place mine on a broiler pan and bake at 350 for 30 min.)

No comments:

Easy Rice Pilaf for Two

 submitted by Patty H. (I tried this for the first time this week and it truly was easy and delicious!) Ingredients: 1/2 cup long grain whit...