Sunday, March 24, 2013

Caribbean Black Bean Soup

shared by Patty H. (This recipe was shared by a retired teacher in a feature story in a local magazine. It sounded delicious and I was not disappointed.  This is one of the best soups I have ever tasted and I would really encourage you to try it.  It said that leftovers freeze well but John and I didn't have any.  We just ate a bowl of it every day until it was gone!)


Ingredients:

1/2 cup diced onion
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. chili powder (I only used 1/2 T. and it was just right for us.)
1 T. ground cumin (I only used 1/2 T. of this also.)
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 T. olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic (I only use the dry minced garlic where 1/4 tsp. = 1 clove)
1 – 14 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes * (Be sure to use these to get the full flavor.)
1 – 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 – 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
1/2 tsp. salt (I used Kosher salt.)
2 – 15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed

Directions:

1.      Saute onion and next 4 ingredients in hot olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender.

2.      Add garlic and cook 1 minute.

3.      Stir in tomatoes and next 4 ingredients until well blended.

4.      Stir in chicken, black beans and salt.

5.      Cook until heated thoroughly.

 Note: If you double the recipe it makes a crockpot full. Leftovers freeze well.

No comments:

Easy Rice Pilaf for Two

 submitted by Patty H. (I tried this for the first time this week and it truly was easy and delicious!) Ingredients: 1/2 cup long grain whit...